What Is Periodontal Therapy?
Early-stage gum disease can be reversed with improved oral hygiene, routine cleanings, and a balanced diet, but advanced gum disease will require periodontal therapy. Read on to learn about periodontal disease and what to expect with periodontal therapy.
What Is Periodontal Disease?
Periodontal disease, or gum disease, can range from mild inflammation to uncomfortable irritation to severe infection and bone loss. Untreated gingivitis, or gum inflammation, will progress to periodontitis that not only affects the gum tissue but the underlying jawbone. Gum disease can cause serious problems, such as bleeding gums, mouth tenderness, bad breath, tooth pain, loose teeth, and lost teeth.
Reduce your risk of developing gum disease with a great daily oral hygiene routine and regular visits to the dentist. But if you do develop periodontal disease, there is treatment available at Amber Hills Dental. Our expert team will point you in the right direction for treatment and healing.
Periodontal Therapy 101
Options for periodontal therapy include scaling and root planing, gum grafting, periodontal plastic surgery, periodontal laser treatment, crown lengthening surgery, and dental implants.
- Scaling and root planing deliver a deep clean by scraping away plaque and tartar from beneath the gumline.
- Gum grafting will be required if there is major tissue damage.
- Surgery may be done to restructure lost or damaged gum tissue.
- Laser treatment is an alternative to surgery that will remove damaged tissue and reduce discomfort and gum shrinkage.
- Crown lengthening may be needed if the gums begin to crowd over the teeth.
- Dental implants can replace any lost teeth. They are surgically implanted into the jawbone and topped with a dental crown to give you the look and feel of natural, durable teeth.
Improve Your Gum Health at Amber Hills Dental
No matter how severe your periodontal disease is, we can help. Contact us today to set up an appointment at our dental office in Henderson, NV. We will get you on your way to a pain-free, healthy smile!